Thursday, February 3, 2011

Egypt's economy will never recover

It is sad to see what is happening in Egypt. The reason I am sad is because I have many friends there and over the years I have been to Egypt over twenty times. No matter what happens as regards a new government I do not think Egypt's economy will ever fully recover. The reason I say that is because one of their major industries is tourism which brings in over 5 billion dollars year. We have already seen the mass exodus of tourists from the country in the last few weeks and I am sure hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world have probably cancelled their plans to visit the country.

No matter what government comes into being in Egypt in the days ahead it will be a very fragile one and one that does not lead to much stability. After thirty years of strong rule by Mubarak dozens of small groups will vie for power and I cannot see a strong leadership taking over the reins of power there.

Pray for the minorities in Egypt like the Christians, that they will be protected no matter who comes to power.

No comments:

Post a Comment